Saturday, April 2, 2011

WrestleMania Predictions and Commentary:

It is finally here.... WrestleMania!  There is something special about this pay-per-view.  It's the SuperBowl, BCS Championship, and Daytona 500 all rolled into one for wrestling fans.  Without furthur adieu, let's see if we are divided or united on WrestleMania 27......

8-Man Tag Team Match--  The Corre v. Big Show, Kane, Santino Marella, & Kozlov (?)

HER:  This match doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  It seems thrown together.  There are lots of rumors that Kofi Kingston will be inserted into this match due to the injury angle done at AXXESS.  I'm pretty confident in this prediction. I say THE CORRE takes it.

HIM:  Winner- The CORRE.  Anyone who read our first blog knows how I feel about Santino.  His is an ultra-entertainer and deserves his place at Mania.  Big Show is equally entertaining and I would love to see him do more.  However, I think The Corre pulls this one out.  Incidentally, for all the trivia buffs out there, how many of the previous 26 WrestleManias did not include a tag title match or an IC Title Match?  Neither will be defended this year as those titles are held by The Corre.

Sheamus v. Daniel Bryan-- U.S. Title MATCH

HER:  This match could end up being a sleeper of the night.  There is potential here.  Sheamus could show classic big man v. little man strength moves and Bryan has the ability to showcase some high-flying maneuvers.  It won't be one of my favorites as, admittedly I'm not a fan of either, but it could thrill some old-school folks.  Prediction: Sheamus

HIM:  Winner: Sheamus.  You are either a huge fan of Daniel Bryan and his perseverence that it took to finally make it to the WWE or you are not a fan and very uninterested in anything about him.  I basically fall into the latter.  Sheamus is a guy who was WWE Champion a few months ago and now finds himself in a heart-pounding feud with a guy that weighs 175 pounds.

Cody Rhodes v. Rey Mysterio

HER:  At one point I was a huge fan of Rey Mysterio.  Unfortunately, that was a long time ago.  Now it seems like it's the same match against different opponents.  I can almost call a Mysterio match move for move.  It seems like I'm in the minority. Fans still pop for Rey. Prediction: Mysterio gets the win but the bigger impact on potential story would be for Rhodes to win.

HIM:  Winner: Mysterio.  For whatever reason, that I just don't get, the WWE and the fans are in love with Rey.  My most memorable moment in the career of Rey was on Monday NITRO when Kevin Nash threw him into the trailer.  He somewhat resembled a javelin as his head bounced off of the trailer that was set outside of that night's venue.  Despite this, I still pick Rey because I'm not sold that Cody can cut it as a singles wrestler.

Mixed Tag Match-- Morrison, Trish Stratus, & Snooki v. Dolph Z, & Lay-Cool

HER:  I hope this match gives justice to Morrison and Ziggler.  I think those two could really go at it. I hope to see a singles' match between the two at some point.  However, for whatever reason, the decision was made to add the ladies.  There is no way Trish Stratus and Snooki were brought in to lose.  WWE will get a lot of publicity mileage out of Snooki.  I'm not a fan of JERSEY SHORE so I don't get the love there.  Prediction: Morrison, Stratus, & Snooki.

HIM:  Winner: Morrison's team.  History has shown that the special guest celebrity always wins at Mania (Floyd Mayweather, LT, etc.).  I think that is a pretty easy call.  The bigger story is I think the WWE missed the boat by not letting Ziggler and Morrison tear the house down.  Morrison is unbelievable, and I think Ziggler could have hung pretty close to him.

Randy Orton v. C.M. Punk

HER:  This has been the second hardest match for me to predict.  Conventional wisdom would dictate a swerve somewhere on the card.  I am not a fan of Randy Orton in the baby-face role.  I think he is a much better heel.  He does get a big reaction.  What do you do with him after this though? I would set up his next feud by having that person cost him this match. Get him out of this train wreck. Prediction: C.M. Punk due to outside interference.

HIM:  Winner: C.M. Punk.  This is a feud that has been taking place for quite some time.  In the past month, Orton has defeated and punted every member of Nexxus.  Punk got a measure of revenge on RAW, and I think somehow, someway, he squeaks out a win.  My major reason is an Orton victory should push him on to his next feud, or even a title match.  If he loses, it is conceivable that he could continue to feud with Nexxus.  I just think they are out of options with him, and I think the WWE title has another seeker in line ahead of him.  Kudos to the WWE for making Punk a heel because he's just a guy that is really easy to dislike and want to see lose.

World Title Match--Edge (Champion) v. Alberto Del Rio

HER:   For some reason, the WWE really likes Del Rio.  I like Del Rio. He is great in the smarmy-heel role.  He has been utilized extensively over the past couple of months.  Each week he claims it is his "destiny" to win the title at WrestleMania.  I actually had that as my prediction until about twelve hours ago.  I do not think the WWE will change all major titles on one night.   I do see him winning the title on the expected rematch on SMACKDOWN.  Prediction: Edge

HIM:  Winner:  Alberto Del Rio.  For slightly different reasons than Punk, Del Rio is the perfect modern day heel.  His personna is rich, arrogant, and I love his little grin and wink.  I actually think this match could carry interest for twenty minutes or so.  Both guys are athletic and are pretty good wrestlers (although Edge should watch some old Goldberg clips to learn how to deliver the Spear).  I think Edge makes a better hunter than hunted.  Some fans had rather watch to see if a really good heel gets beat than watch to see if a mediocre babyface wins. If Alberto wins, this is what you get. As a side note, Alberto has the best ring announcer in all of wrestling.

JERRY LAWLER V. MICHAEL COLE

HER:  This is the easiest match, in my opinion, to predict.  For several weeks, Michael Cole has been the 'star' of this feud.  This is Jerry Lawler's first match at WrestleMania after twenty plus years with the WWE.  The RattleSnake is the special referee.  I see a total Lawler annihilation on Michael Cole.  I will say this, Cole is good in his role.  I love to dislike him in his role.  I find him annoying and want to see someone shut him up.  In other words, he is doing his job really well.  Some might say he doesn't have to 'act' very much but that is another blog for another day.  Prediction: "And I quote.... Michael Cole's five minutes are up."  Jerry Lawler takes this one.

HIM:  Winner: Lawler.  I have long been a fan of the former wrestler announcer who seems to always side with the heel.  I think about Jesse Ventura, Bobby the Brain, and The King (until recent).  I am not a fan of Michael Cole as the defender of the bad guys.  He has simply gotten to be ridiculous, but I suppose that is his role if we are to despise him.  I think Lawler gets his revenge, and I think that he and Stone Cold will celebrate with a few cold ones. (No doubt that ol' Rattlesnake will have a part in the final decision.)

WWE Title Match--The Miz v. John Cena

HER:  The Miz is a good wrestler.  He will put on a show.  However, to most, the real story here will be John Cena  and The Rock.  The simmering feud between The People's Champion and Cena does not end here.  I see this night as the catalyst for the match everyone knows is coming.  The match gains much more credibility if the WWE Title is on the line.  Prediction:  John Cena becomes Champ and The Rock challenges him for the gold.  Cena v. Rock is the money match.  FYI- If this match ends up being the Main Event, Miz will join Jericho and Edge as going from having the opening match one year at Mania to Main Event the next.

HIM:  Winner: Cena.  This is a prediction that I am not as confident in as I was a couple of weeks back.  As a matter of fact, if WrestleMania was the 10th I might even go the other way.  Usually, the biggest star wins the biggest match at WrestleMania.  The problem is I don't really see in what direction the WWE is moving with Cena.  Every time I think they are ready to let him become their work horse, they do something that changes my mind.  I think with the right push he could be the guy, but I don't think management necessarily agrees with that.  I do think he has to win the championship to set up a match with another champion.  Not the world champ, as you might think, but the PEOPLE'S CHAMP.

The Streak Match--Undertaker v. HHH

HER:  This has been the hardest match for me to predict.  I am still not 100% sold on my prediction but the time has come to make the decision.  I do think we will see a good match.  Both wrestlers are well rested and should come ready to perform on the biggest stage of the year.  I am a fan of the streak.  I admit it.  I think it is a great way to honor a man for his sacrifices to the WWE.  Everyone says the streak must end at some point.  Why?  'Taker has a limited amount of time left as an in-ring performer.  I think the streak should stand.  Another reason why I want the streak to continue? If HHH wins, no matter how great his performance, the proverbial asterick will always be there.  People inside and outside the business will cry nepotism until the end of time.  The doubts will linger.  Does one really book himself to end an eighteen year streak?  It doesn't matter how much respect he has garnered in the back, if HHH wins this match the whispers will follow him.  Prediction: 19-0 Undertaker.

HIM:  Winner:  Undertaker.  I think a win at Mania will allow the Undertaker to ride on into the sunset if he so chooses.  No one can argue his importance to the company for the last twenty years, but he has slowed it down quite a bit over the last couple of years.  His schedule has been pretty sweet during that time frame, but I will admit that he's definitely earned it.  I do fear that the match will not be as good as wins 17 and 18 the previous two years.  This is not a knock on HHH at all.  He is really good... but not that good!  My only hope is that it turns out clean for the winner.  Personally, I don't want to see any HBK involvement.  The Hall of Fame weekend will be a sufficient enough memory without any role in the outcome of this match. 


Well.... it seems we are more united than divided for WrestleMania.  Let's conclude with three additional opportunities to be united or divided.

SLEEPER MATCH OF THE NIGHT:

HER:  Sheamus v. Bryan. I'm not a big fan of either man but the match has potential.  Traditionally, everyone comes with their working shoes on for this night.  If these two continue that tradition we could see a good match.

HIM:  Eight-Man Tag Match.  With eight different wrestlers, there should be enough variety of styles to keep us interested.  The Corre is made up of above average wrestlers, and even Ezekiel is okay in short spurts.  I think the addition of Kofi puts a big shot into the match, and there is always a chance for a COBRA sighting.

IF I COULD CHANGE JUST ONE PREDICTION:

HER:  I should probably go with the HHH v. UNDERTAKER prediction to cover me.  However, I am not going to take the easy way out.  I'll stick with my original prediction.  I will take the Orton v. Punk match.  I could see that match going either way.

HIM:  Miz v. Cena.  I am really apprehensive but I do see this as the possible big surprise of the night.  Again, I just don't think the company is sold on Cena, and if he is booked against one of the most popular in the history of the WWE, it might jeopardize his position as the company's big dog. Like Orton, I don't know what they would do with him if he lost, but it could possibly ensure him as a babyface.

BIGGEST POP OF THE NIGHT (Biggest/Loudest Fan Reaction):

HER:  Heel Reaction will be Michael Cole and Vickie Guerrero. It makes a statement when your best heel heat is reserved for non-wrestlers.   Babyface pop goes to The Rattlesnake!

HIM:  I think Austin will be huge; especially in the post-match celebration.  The other big pop hinges on what actually occurs after the Cena-Miz match.  If The Rock has any confrontation with either, Cena for sure, the place will errupt.  That basically means that I am predicting two guys who are not even wrestling to get the biggest pop.  I'll say the heel reaction will go to Cole or Del Rio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment